Salt Bath/Dip for single fish

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Salt Bath/Dip for single fish

Post by Guest on 8/6/2012, 20:22

Does anyone know anything about these how to do it and what salt ratio? thinking about giving my poorly eyed ram a dip.

Back to top Go down

Re: Salt Bath/Dip for single fish

Post by D13H4RD on 8/6/2012, 20:35

I've heard of this but never done it mate, I add salt to my waterchanges, not every week but prolly once a month Very Happy
D13H4RD

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s on 8/6/2012, 20:55

Dead easy mate I done one this morning on one of my discus. All I do is put 4.5 litres of tank water in a bucket, net the fish ito the bucket, then take some water back out in a cup or glass to mix the salt in. I use Epsom salts and add 2 tablespoons to the glass and give it a good stir. Then add it slowly over a minute. I leave the fish for 30 mins then put it back in the tank. Keep an eye on the fish though when oing this as some have a lower tolerance for salt. I use it as a first li.ne of defence for poorly fish instead of just throwing in meds.
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 9/6/2012, 18:11

D13H4RD wrote:I've heard of this but never done it mate, I add salt to my waterchanges, not every week but prolly once a month Very Happy

I was going to do this but was advised not to because i had plecos in the tank,
altho i did read that it will be ok if you use a small amount i think 1tbs per 5 gallons. this would be enough to heal wounds, kill parasites without having any effect on plecos health.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 9/6/2012, 18:26

We'll this morning i did as kevinjames said only with rock salt. and in the bucket i put 3 fish in the bucket

--The Electric Blue Ram - from previous eye problem topic, http://theaquarium.forumotion.co.uk/t1153-eye-problems-in-fish#11020 obviously to help heal the poor fishys eye.

--The Electric Blue Jack Demsey - to move to the 450L with out passing anything over, as he is terrorising the dwarf cichlids.

--A Platinum Angel to move to the 450L again without passing anything over, the reason for moving him over is he had a poorly fin so the salt may help and he is getting bigger than the singapores in this tank and bossing them about they will be glad to see the bk of him.

ps. i think i might have made a mistake: if the tank has had white spot didn't clear, if in one of these fish may have been passed over. stupid me

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10/6/2012, 07:54

The EBR died last night devastated :'(

Back to top Go down

Post by D13H4RD on 10/6/2012, 08:01

Sorry to hear that mate Sad
D13H4RD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10/6/2012, 14:32

So am i mate, fed up now feels like all hard work has gone down the pan. They are flicking/rubbing worse than before and now its started in the other tank Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by D13H4RD on 10/6/2012, 15:08

It's gotta be something in the water, had any eater works in your area lately?
D13H4RD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10/6/2012, 15:24

D13H4RD wrote:It's gotta be something in the water, had any eater works in your area lately?

eater works? dont think theres been any works at all, the water we use is hma. looks like summit irritating them and theres no more white spots, i done a water change already on the 450l. done 50% one yesterday on 200L ill do 20-30% change on each for the next few days see if it stops.

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s on 10/6/2012, 15:47

What temp is the tank at? Most ich style irratants don't do well in higher temps.
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10/6/2012, 19:40

Bloody hell i just looked its 33 degrees im sure i turned it down yesterday after water change. debating weather to do a change now...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10/6/2012, 19:58

that was the 200l problem tank turned it down now the 400l is 26c where flicking has started.

Back to top Go down

Post by D13H4RD on 10/6/2012, 20:12

Just drop some ice cubes in mate, cool it down slowly, remember to set it to 26 deg first.
D13H4RD

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s on 10/6/2012, 20:14

Most fish will tolorate temps that high for a short time. I'd set the problem tank to 30 to speed up the life cycle of whatever is bothering them. If they are no visable signs of ich/whitespot it could be gill flukes if they are flashing a lot.
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10/6/2012, 20:44

well they did have white spots but they dont anymore but are still flashing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10/6/2012, 20:45

might of been the high temp?

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s on 10/6/2012, 21:17

The life cycle of ich is a few days to a week depending on the temp in the tank. The fish can sometimes flick if they is meds or water dechlor in with them. I'd just keep an eye on things for now, if it is whitespot it will show its ugly head soon enough.
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17/6/2012, 17:29

salt bath almost done do i put the salt water bk in the tank or fresh water? and will 'herbtana' parasite treatment be ok to use?

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s on 17/6/2012, 17:46

Nah just discard the water, never heard of that treatment Tbh, I always use fluke solve and waterlife sterazin as these are the most recommended as an over the counter treatment by the discus keeping community.
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17/6/2012, 18:34

i used it now anyway it said 100% natural so hopfully be ok, ill keep u updated

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s on 17/6/2012, 19:17

Good luck hope it works out.
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by NedtheDog on 17/6/2012, 20:12

Sorry you still have problems with your fish, go easy on the salt bath as it can damage the fish if not using the correct dosage and time. Adult white spot (Ich) lives UNDER the skin so salt is not really effective as a "cure" and may weaken the fish by drawing freshwater from the tissue into the brine solution (osmosis).
I don't have much regard for herbal "medication" in this case and think you should buy a recognised white spot cure, ie, King British or similar chemical based treatment, followed up by a broad spectrum bacteria side, But look out for the filters during treatment especially with the bacteria treatment.
NedtheDog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17/6/2012, 20:32

Ok ned will do mate , seem to be cursed atm bad luck or/and bad fish keeping.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum