THE AQUARIUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunken Stomach

2 posters

Go down

Sunken Stomach Empty Sunken Stomach

Post by Guest 17/6/2012, 10:58

I have a ram with a sunken stomach, it has deteriorated in the past week anyone know what it might be? It is eating but not alot, also been treating the tank for white spot @ half dose and the course is due to finish on wedensday. Since the tank got the white spot the 2 bgrs have lost there colour pretty badly. the fish is now in hospital tank btw, ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APRECIATED

Back to top Go down

Sunken Stomach Empty Re: Sunken Stomach

Post by k3vinjam3s 17/6/2012, 15:03

Sounds to me like an internal parasite, rams are especially prone to bad bouts of this. I would salt bath him asap and try to add some sort of wormer like fluke solve or waterlife sterazin. Sometimes the damage is already done and the fish can't be saved but don't let that stop you from trying. Is the ram shown signs of thinning above his eyes? You got any pics?
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/6/2012, 15:44

Sunken Stomach Ramsunkenstomach

it does seem to have sunken above the eye too

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 17/6/2012, 16:04

Normally when its starts to go thin between the eyes its difficult to bring them round. If the hospital tanks small I would do daily 60-80% water changes and add sterazin which treats internal worms. Then feed frozen bloodworm in large ammount if it will take it to stretch its belly and fill it up.
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by NedtheDog 17/6/2012, 20:22

Why are you using the White spot treatment at half dose?

Have you only got half the amount of white spot?
NedtheDog
NedtheDog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/6/2012, 20:29

no because i have plecs they are sensitive to treatments

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/6/2012, 20:34

been told elsewhere that unless rams are german bred or wild caught the chances are very slim on doing well as they have been line bred and mostly shipped from israel. so from now on im only going to buy wild caught and german bred rams

Back to top Go down

Post by NedtheDog 17/6/2012, 21:08

Chris mate, in that case you should treat the plecs in another tank, for the full course of treatment, treat all the others with the Full dosage of medication for the recommended time. Treating with medication at half dose will not kill the parasite and in some cases allow it to build up a resistance to the Medication!
The longer the infestation continues the weaker the fish become and can die off with secondary infections, i don't often say this but GET SOME CHEMICALS IN THERE.
NedtheDog
NedtheDog

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 17/6/2012, 21:35

chriscarnivorous wrote:been told elsewhere that unless rams are german bred or wild caught the chances are very slim on doing well as they have been line bred and mostly shipped from israel. so from now on im only going to buy wild caught and german bred rams

Very very true that's why in interested in the wild caught fish from rare aquatics. The thing about rams is they only live for a couple of years in the wild and maybe double that in captivity. I had a couple of wild caught rams that were stunners, I think Mick seen them before I lost them. I'll dig out a couple of pics if I can find some to show you.
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 17/6/2012, 22:01

as promised:

Sunken Stomach IMAG0093
Sunken Stomach IMAG0081
Sunken Stomach IMAG0080
Sunken Stomach IMAG0070
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/6/2012, 22:11

very very nice rams mate

ned i dont have another tank to put all the plecs in to treat them seperatly it says on the whitespot tub use half dose for tanks with scaleless and sensitive fish. the course is nearly done and i cant help to think that the meds are just irritating the fish. the ram tank i did a full dose of the natural stuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum