THE AQUARIUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red tail sharks!

5 posters

Go down

Red tail sharks! Empty Red tail sharks!

Post by Borosniper 4/7/2012, 21:30

Hi I have a 5ft tank and have 2 red tail sharks in the tank i have recently notice over the last few days that one keeps trying to ram into the other chasing it all over is this aggression or is this love lol is there any way to tell male from female and any specific signs for breeding?

thanks

BS.
Borosniper
Borosniper

Back to top Go down

Red tail sharks! Empty Re: Red tail sharks!

Post by Guest 4/7/2012, 21:40

im not too clued up but i think with goldfish the male chases the female and rams her to get the eggs out, so the male does the ramming the female looks a little fatter, not sure if this aplies with sharks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/7/2012, 22:10

could be the one that is doing the chasing is trying to prove he or she is the dominant one mate

Back to top Go down

Post by NedtheDog 5/7/2012, 07:10

Hi Mate, Red tail black sharks, become territorial as they mature, as yours are now reaching full size, they (or one of them) wants its own space. There are no reports of these fish breeding in aquaria. As far as I know there are no sexual differences between these fish to sex them.
Removing the less dominant fish may be the answer if you have a second tank.
NedtheDog
NedtheDog

Back to top Go down

Post by onlineman 5/7/2012, 12:07

not supposed to be kept in 2's...keep 5 or 6 together or just 1 on its own as they get very terrotorial...it will end in death if one isnt removed or more added !!
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 5/7/2012, 12:55

Even in a tank that size they will only be room for one adult imo. Out of curiousity did you buy them both at the same time?
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by onlineman 5/7/2012, 15:55

they can be kept singular or in masses...5-6-7-8 etc as a group but not in pairs due to fighting !...when several fish are kept then no territiory can be established by one fish !...in pairs then that is why the fighting occurs due to one wanting to dominate the other and claim the territory for its self !!
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by Borosniper 5/7/2012, 18:58

Thanks lads, and kevin yeah they were bought together from the same tank. only noticed it a couple of days ago had them for a couple of weeks and seemed fine. thanks for the advice /info people.
Borosniper
Borosniper

Back to top Go down

Post by debnel 6/7/2012, 08:30

can these be kept with clown loaches? have been thinking of getting one for my takn. but not sure how they would get on with my 3 cheeky clowns.
debnel
debnel

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 6/7/2012, 09:21

Borosniper wrote:Thanks lads, and kevin yeah they were bought together from the same tank. only noticed it a couple of days ago had them for a couple of weeks and seemed fine. thanks for the advice /info people.

Here we go again, lfs selling inappropriate fish. They should never have sold you 2 in the first place, name and shame I say!
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by onlineman 6/7/2012, 14:52

should be no probs with clown loaches...inspite of reports that they are a grumpy nippy bossy fish they live very happily in a community aquarium...ive had one for 7 yrs and the only fish it had any hasstles with was my plec...even then it was just a bit of tag...the shark would antagonise the plec till it chased him then the shark would dart off between plants and under bogwood out of harms way, no damage or fighting actually took place !..ive kept mine with kribs..plattys, swords...guppies...corys..danios...clowns...ive never had a problem with bullying or fighting from the shark !!..infact he used to share a cave with the clowns ! so they got along well !...i would be returning one to lfs telling them they shouldnt have sold you 2 in the first place m8 !!
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by Borosniper 6/7/2012, 22:25

Im just gonna keep an eye on the sharks may have to get rid of the less dominant one if i see any more ramming /chasing etc thanks again
Borosniper
Borosniper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down