platie

Go down

platie

Post by fishhib on 27/10/2011, 22:50

I have a 12 gallon tank with 7 guppies (all male), a dwarf gourami, 6 neon tetras and 3 corys.

I wanted to breed guppies but cant now because they are all male and it wouldnt be fair on the female to just add 1 female she would get harassed like crazy.

so I was thinking could i add 1 male and 1 female platie and breed them?? i want to sell the fry to a lfs to pay for food and stuff.
fishhib

Back to top Go down

Re: platie

Post by Ian on 28/10/2011, 09:54

if your thinking about selling them on i would advise you to get one male and 3-4 females then you get more fry as platies are common you would need quite a few to get a decent credit in the shops platies ,guppys, swords ,to me are bread and butter ie you can get money from them but not enough you would need loadsfish they breed like wild fire but when it comes to rearing them up it seems they dont gop for what youve forked out to keep and bring them up

Ian
Admin
Admin

http://theaquarium.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster on 17/11/2011, 02:11

About a week ago one of my platies had fry but i don't think any survived. I bought some floating plants to give the next spawning a sporting chance as i haven't got another tank setup for them yet.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster on 21/11/2011, 02:10

Here's me thinking none of the fry survived. Well you never guess what i saw one hiding out on the heater. The heater has a sort of cage where you put it in, it acts as a protector and the fry are hiding in the protector. It keeps popping out every so often. I'm just wondering if there are any more. Just have to wait and see. :welcome:

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster on 26/11/2011, 02:00

I keep finding more fry. cheers

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 26/11/2011, 18:49

survival of the most inventive!

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcG on 26/11/2011, 20:43

I agree with mick these fish are commonly bredd and are always available so you will need alot of fry to sell otherwise there upkeep wornt match the money made. If your only wanting to breed them for money why not try a less common species thats value is more.
MarcG

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster on 27/11/2011, 01:14

I would like to build up stock first. Then sell when i get more than enough.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FrazzleDazzle on 27/11/2011, 11:49

Well i breed guppies, and even though i lost a lot of my stock to a new filter, it seems they'll never be beaten!! Just had another batch of 60+ fry when i thought all was lost after my filter started slicing guppy up like a hot knife through butter. They're all healthy and feeding on crushed flake. I'll get about £2 worth of food for the lot. Hardly a lot, i don't do it for the money i do it so my guppies are infiltrating the world Wink

Oh the contrary if anyone wants a couple give me a shout!
FrazzleDazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 11/12/2011, 22:05

hi frazer
i would be up for some of these when they're big enough to survive in open water with other livebearers my nursery tank has young platties (approx 18)and mature swordtails (6) and will shortly house some super red bristlenoses so nothing evil and nasty however they do need to be of a size to avoid being live food mate.

Back to top Go down

Post by timmy74 on 8/1/2012, 19:10

Mr Dazzle could i take some females off you bud Idea please.

timmy74

http://www.timgirvan.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum