THE AQUARIUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glass cleaning

3 posters

Go down

Glass cleaning Empty Glass cleaning

Post by Moza 7/6/2013, 19:29

Im coming back to fish ownership after being laid up ill, Ive bought a used 260 vision (well ive had it ages) Im ready to set it up. Before I do I want to clean it up, it has some staining on the inner glass from maybe salt of algae. Ive tried an scourer which was worn out so not harsh enough to scratch the glass but it hasnt worked. Does anyone have any tips on how to clean the glass up so I can get this thing up and running
Moza
Moza

Back to top Go down

Glass cleaning Empty Re: Glass cleaning

Post by onlineman 7/6/2013, 20:33

you can use a Stanley knife blade but go steady !!....best to soak it a few times to soften it up ...use warm water rather than cold....and go gentle rather than heavy handed....I don't think there is a magical solution other than patience and elbow grease !!...welcome back...always nice to have people come back to the hobby !!...ps..if you want a few guppies as a starter......drop me a line !!
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by Moza 7/6/2013, 21:09

onlineman wrote:you can use a Stanley knife blade but go steady !!....best to soak it a few times to soften it up ...use warm water rather than cold....and go gentle rather than heavy handed....I don't think there is a magical solution other than patience and elbow grease !!...welcome back...always nice to have people come back to the hobby !!...ps..if you want a few guppies as a starter......drop me a line !!

Thanks but I dont think a blade will shift this it looks like the glass is marked, ive been told to use 000 wire wool. Thanks for the welcome back and fish offer but im coming back to Malawi's
Moza
Moza

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9/6/2013, 20:44

welcome back moza nice to se you back with us

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9/6/2013, 20:45

let us know if the wire wool helps would need to go very steady but would be good to know if it helped to get rid of the algae

Back to top Go down

Post by onlineman 9/6/2013, 20:48

I wouldn't like to use wire wool on glass personally...I use it in stripping paint and know the damage/marking it can do to wood !....I would use it with great caution !
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian 16/8/2015, 10:37

A solution of water and white vinegar usually helps
I keep white vinegar in to help neutralise any coral stings I may receive

Ian
Admin
Admin

https://theaquarium.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down