THE AQUARIUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Quality Issues

4 posters

Go down

Water Quality Issues Empty Water Quality Issues

Post by Guest 27/1/2012, 21:47

Today brought a smile to my face as my API Freshwater Master Kit Turned up. However when I got round to using it I found that the pH is absolutely fine 7.2, Ammonia is present but only very low 0.25-0.50, Nitrate is fine at 10-20ppm. Then I completed the Nitrite, which is off the scale showing a max reading on the scale of 5.0ppm.

Whats causing this when the the other readings are so low? What can I do to get it down? The only bit that is confusing I have active fish that are getting better in colour everyday.

Back to top Go down

Water Quality Issues Empty Re: Water Quality Issues

Post by k3vinjam3s 27/1/2012, 22:12

The nitrite stats are very high mate, is do a water change tomorrow. A good 50% minimum and limit feeding for a couple of days. Nitrite can be a nightmare to level down to zero as the bacteria that form to break it.down take longer.to establish. I'd try to increase oxygen in the water too as the main thing that happens to the fish with nitrite poisoning is trouble breathing.
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27/1/2012, 22:19

I cant turn my oxygen up, Ive got the biggest pump ive ever seen and its turned all the way up. I've done a 45% change tonight so will do a smaller one tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by blooper 27/1/2012, 22:28

hodgy if u need any mature filter to realy kick start ur filter give us a shout will sort u out before i stripp discus tank down

blooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27/1/2012, 22:40

When I drop the b/ns off on sunday I'll pick some up from you if thats ok, do you want any replacement media? Pm me ur contact number btw.

Back to top Go down

Post by ado_boro 28/1/2012, 23:03

Good idea Hodgy, blooper helped me out and it worked for me. Its likely to be just because the tank has not cycled fully yet. As Kev said above it does take a long time for the bacteria to build up enough. You might find that by the time your ammonia and nitrite reduce to 0ppm your nitrate levels will read high and will require more large water changes.
ado_boro
ado_boro

https://www.facebook.com/adrian.paterson

Back to top Go down

Post by D13H4RD 29/1/2012, 08:32

You can use a product called safe start to help with maturing your filter quickly, also another product called intra zorb,this helps remove all ove the above : )
D13H4RD
D13H4RD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29/1/2012, 16:44

Put some mature media and sponges in today thanks to Mr Blooper. Let's hope this helps keep all the levels down and where they should be. Also has another 50L change so that should do the trick, I'll do another test tonight after I've built my slate sculpture.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 1/2/2012, 10:08

Wate quality has been fixed. Woop Woop

Water Quality Issues IMG_0505

Back to top Go down

Post by D13H4RD 1/2/2012, 10:19

0.25 ammonia and nitrite? Should these not be 0.
In my chiclids tank I have 8ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20-30 nitrate (im trying to lower this) This is my old mature tank, New one just starting up.
D13H4RD
D13H4RD

Back to top Go down

Post by blooper 1/2/2012, 10:23

a large water changes should sort the nitrite and nitrate levels out for you now

blooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 1/2/2012, 10:40

The tanks only been running 4-5weeks diehard, but from where it was on Sunday it's a massive improvement. The nitrite was off the scale nitrate was the same and ammonia has come down by .25 I'm happier now.

Back to top Go down

Post by D13H4RD 1/2/2012, 10:56

Cool matey Very Happy
D13H4RD
D13H4RD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down