THE AQUARIUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Illness Identification

3 posters

Go down

Illness Identification Empty Illness Identification

Post by Guest 19/2/2012, 23:47

I've noticed over the last couple of days one of my corys has a white mark on its head.....what you guys recon?
Illness Identification 81a2fbe0

Last edited by Hodgy_2k5 on 4/3/2012, 22:37; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Illness Identification Empty Re: Illness Identification

Post by Ian 19/2/2012, 23:50

is it under the skin or fluffy on the outside

Ian
Admin
Admin

https://theaquarium.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19/2/2012, 23:51

Looks like its under then skin....i cant see no fluff....its been getting bigger tho

Back to top Go down

Post by blooper 20/2/2012, 00:41

cud be a heater burn wots ur water stats

blooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20/2/2012, 00:53

Haven't checked pH but the ammonia was 0, nitrite was 0 but the nitrate was about 40-80ppm .... test was done 9.30am sunday. The nitrate was off the scale (above 160ppm) the other day before i did a 30% water change.

Back to top Go down

Post by blooper 20/2/2012, 00:56

why was the nitrate that high wud recommend 50% every week if its going that high

blooper

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 20/2/2012, 07:14

+1 with blooper, 50% water change each week will keep nitrates down unless you are feeding bucket loads of food.

As for white mark just keep an eye on it and use the photo for reference to see if its getting better/worse. It may have got lodged somewhere tight also and marked itself that way. Consistent good water quality should heal it in no time.
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20/2/2012, 14:20

Temp has been uplifted to about 80/81'F - Marks dont seem to have got any worse but haven't got any better.

However the white spot that had developed on the clown loach seems to have subsided, alot fewer spots and smaller too.

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 20/2/2012, 15:16

What where the whitespots like on the clown? Where they like tiny specs and a lot of them. If its whitespot then them spots disappearing is just part of the cycle. The spots drop off then lay dormant for a few days then each spot releases 100s of the whitespot parasite that then look for a host while freefloating in the water. It's at this point that they are treatable and easily removed. Just keep an eye on the rest of the fish to see if any spots appear. It's not a death sentence for the fish unless its really bad. I had it bad once when I went on holiday, I came back to find 3 5" pictus cats dead and the rest of the tanks fish covered in whitespot. They were gasping at the top but with treatment starting straight away and the temp cranked up to 32oC I lost no more fish. The trick is to treat for around 10 days to make sure you get the whitespot while its free floating
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 20/2/2012, 19:25

the spots were tiny and now seem to have gone. I will continue to check for spots on all the fish and if i seen any I will start to treat. It might just have been nothing, hopefully.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/3/2012, 22:42

Sure I've got a problem somewhere.

Seems as if the white spot has vanished as it's never been seen again (completed full course of treatment) so not sure if I was over reacting.

However I seem to have this re-occuring problem with marks on the heads of different fish. I'm guessing hole in the head? I've noticed a slow reduction in the number of fish in my tank and keep noticing different fish with the same marks. I currently have an odessa barb which is holding on to life, not with the greatest of success by the looks of it. It has an open wound with red marks around the edges. Whats the best course of treatment?

Back to top Go down

Post by blooper 4/3/2012, 22:47

wots ur water stats as if high nitrate i wud suspect thats ur prob

blooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian 4/3/2012, 22:47

sounds like an ulcer of some sort you can get a treatment for ulcers at the moment i carnt remember its name ill have it in the morning i might even have some

Ian
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/3/2012, 22:55

I've dosed the tank with API Melafix which states its good for open wounds, ulcers etc.

I'm just really bummed out with it all......guilty as charged as I haven't tested the tank in a while.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian 4/3/2012, 23:11

do a few water changes to see if theres any changes in the look and test it before and after

Ian
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/3/2012, 23:14

Will do....should i dispose of this barb as its just floating then sinking as if its dying

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum