THE AQUARIUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

breeding goldfish

4 posters

Go down

breeding goldfish Empty breeding goldfish

Post by mrsbiffster 2/10/2011, 01:36

I acquired a breeding pair of goldfish. It started off with 3 goldfish. I took over looking after these goldfish as my dad didn't bother with them when i moved in. i started doing water changes every 2 weeks coz the filter kept blocking up and there was reduced water flow. I started noticing white spots on the gills of the fish. I knew there were males in there as this is a sign of breeding. At first i thought all 3 goldfish were males then i noticed 2 fish were chasing one of the other fish. The following morning when i went to feed them i became aware of eggs all over the filter, on the side of the tank and some on the hood. i kept an eye on them for the next few days or so but unfortunately they all turned white.
The goldfish bred another couple of times and i upset the routine coz i moved house and had to dismantle the tank. I'm waiting for them to breed again. After i moved i lost one of the fish but i still have a pair. The eggs didn't survive though.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

breeding goldfish Empty Re: breeding goldfish

Post by mrsbiffster 13/10/2011, 00:45

The goldfish did breed again but there were only a few eggs. I bought some elodea before hand so they could use it to lay there eggs on, but again the eggs turned white
I'm going to get prepared next year and condition them up. So lets wait and see. Smile Smile Smile
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian 13/10/2011, 10:08

use spawning mops dipped in meth blue then they lay the eggs on them and you can remove them to another tank to hatch as the parents dont look after there eggs or young

Ian
Admin
Admin

https://theaquarium.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster 15/10/2011, 21:25

That's what i'm planning on doing next year mick. I'm hoping everything goes ok and i manage to get some spawnings.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

breeding goldfish Empty Goldfish Conditioning for Breeding

Post by NedtheDog 11/12/2011, 16:30

Goldfish need to be conditioned in order to breed, we have to almost duplicate conditions they would find in the wild, Feed a "normal" maintenance diet until the end of Dec to mid Jan, then cool them down and stop feeding for about a month. If they are cold enough about 45 degrees F, they won't come to any harm. Then start to warm them up SLOWLY and feed wheat-germ to start them off at a Temp of 50/55 degrees, get them up to about 60/65 degrees and feed high protean diet, Earthworms are ideal for this (chopped ) This conditioning kicks in enzymes that will get them into breeding condition. Eggs should be removed from parent fish or they will be eaten.
NedtheDog
NedtheDog

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster 12/12/2011, 00:04

My goldfish are in a tank indoors so the tank water warms up with the room temperature.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

breeding goldfish Empty Conditioning Goldfish

Post by NedtheDog 13/12/2011, 18:07

Not ideal if kept indoors in a heated room, but you can withdraw food for a month say from mid January They will use up some of the body fat wich is not a bad thing if they have been fed throughout the year. As the temp will not be below 50 degrees F you can start to feed earthworms mid Feb. As the males get the white breeding spots on gill covers and leading rays on pecs, and females get plump, do a large water change, this usually starts then off.
NedtheDog
NedtheDog

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcG 13/12/2011, 18:21

I dont think the room is heated ned. I think its like mine my tanks at 16 degree cel at the minute and goes upto 23-24 in summer
MarcG
MarcG

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster 14/12/2011, 03:09

I'm afraid the room is heated gas central heating. The water temp is about 20 degrees which i think is quite cool.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster 14/12/2011, 03:14

Do fancy goldfish need the same requirements as i have fancies as well. They are still quite young at the moment but i would like to try breeding them as well.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

breeding goldfish Empty RE, Goldfish Breeding

Post by NedtheDog 14/12/2011, 20:15

Yes treat all goldfish varieties the same, most fancy's don't breed true the secret is in the culling. Unlike most tropical fish the genes in goldfish are not fully fixed, so colour, number of fins (paired or single even dorsal fins are not present in some varieties) A percentage of the fry will turn out like the parent fish, the trick is to sort those out as early as possible so you can devote tank space to grow them on.
NedtheDog
NedtheDog

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster 14/12/2011, 23:37

Thanks for the advice ned. I can't wait till these fancies grow bigger. No doubt i will probably buy a couple more fancies to make sure i have at least one pair. Orandas and Pearlscales are my favourites.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum