THE AQUARIUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

kribensis cichlid/pelvicachromis pulcher

3 posters

Go down

kribensis cichlid/pelvicachromis pulcher Empty kribensis cichlid/pelvicachromis pulcher

Post by dene.h. 5/1/2012, 23:16

hi all i have been looking at these fish for a while now and am looking into keeping some in the near future they are great fish to keep just hard to get a hold of a decent strand of them.
these are peacful fish untill ther start to breed and once in the spawning ritual they become very territorial people say to keep other dither fish or to take the parents out of the tank straight after the young are noticable but id say ignore this as the kribs make great parents, they will only kill ther young when threatend or feel as thought they are not safe in the tank but you can do with as you wish, but to avoid this happening if you do decide to keep them in the same tank as the parents its best to keep them in a tank with plenty of hidding spots such as a few caves, a few areas with heavy plantation and some rocks so they have plenty of places to swim in out round and to use as cover, they usualy mate in caves which they will dig out themselvs so dont try and creat the cave for them its part of ther mating process, they will be happy with the cave once it has just enuff room to do the business and a small entrance so that the female can just to say squeeze in and out of to gaurd the entrance of the cave. having a tank set up as such will increase ur chances of bringing up the most possible amount of young you can. when the fry are free swiming you can watch the parents showing ther young around the tank, it is great to watch them doing this and is apart of why i think these fish are great. they like a PH of around 6.5 but can be kept with a ph of 6-7.5, they are easy fish to keep and dont need that much attension on the care side of things, just giv them a varied diet of flake vegtable based fish flake and meaty type foods every so often not too many water changes (unless they do end up in bad health) and you should be fine. happy fish keeping everybody. any additional info on these wunderful fish would be great 👍 ..

dene.h.
dene.h.

Back to top Go down

kribensis cichlid/pelvicachromis pulcher Empty Re: kribensis cichlid/pelvicachromis pulcher

Post by mrsbiffster 6/1/2012, 00:55

I second that dene. I usually keep a pair in a tank of there own which gives the youngsters a better chance of survival. Once the water conditions are right you can't stop them from spawning. I find they are territorial but not aggressive.
They are such lovely fish. The females belly becomes wine coloured to attract a male. Once they start pairing off, both fish colour up when ready to spawn.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

kribensis cichlid/pelvicachromis pulcher Empty Re: kribensis cichlid/pelvicachromis pulcher

Post by carpguru 6/1/2012, 09:34

let you in to a tip if you have the pH above
seven you will get more males and females
and if you go below seven airing on the side
of six you will get more females than males
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by dene.h. 7/1/2012, 01:02

yea there great fish and aw yea iv herd that sumwer befor about the PH and i carnt wait to get some again just waiting for the right tank to come up lol
dene.h.
dene.h.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down