THE AQUARIUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sneaky slimey dirty rotten horrible SNAILS

5 posters

Go down

sneaky slimey dirty rotten horrible SNAILS Empty sneaky slimey dirty rotten horrible SNAILS

Post by Guest 16/3/2012, 22:29

recently acquired an infestation of the slimey snail type
no idea where it came from but it's here in one of the tanks
i have been treating with gastropex but no good in fact to be honest the damn things seem to be thriving on it (i keep re-reading the bumpf and no-where does it say it's good snail food) so in despair i plan to strip the tank down and throw the wood and gravel away clean the heater, internal filter and airstone with neat gastropex and that just leaves the tank itself any ideas to beat these please
oh and suggestions for cleaning the tank would be appreciated
if anyone has a plan for cleaning the internal filter (eheim 2012) it would be most welcome too!

Back to top Go down

sneaky slimey dirty rotten horrible SNAILS Empty Re: sneaky slimey dirty rotten horrible SNAILS

Post by smoggs 16/3/2012, 23:57

cant see any need to throw wood ect surely a good boil should kill off snails, as for tank cleaning i've used the cheap thin bleach a few times with no ill effects just give a good rinse afterwards with decholrinator
smoggs
smoggs

Back to top Go down

sneaky slimey dirty rotten horrible SNAILS Empty Re: sneaky slimey dirty rotten horrible SNAILS

Post by Guest 17/3/2012, 07:17

Cheers smoggs
However the wood is out as is the internal filter and today I have only found about 15 percent of the normal morning find so I may yet even ditch the filter unless I can satisfy myself
I really do hate snails with a vengeance in case you haven't noticed!

Back to top Go down

Post by rosslewisbrown 17/3/2012, 08:54

What type of snails are they? Tadpole snails that tend to come on plants?

If I were you, rather than strip the tank, I would buy a puffer who'll eat them all - however if you've got shrimp etc then this isn't a good idea.

Also, if you've got a community tank I would only reccommend getting a South American Puffers and these are peaceful, skittish things. Keep them in groups of 4 or more.

Alternatively, a Pakistani loach or Yo-Yo loach should soon eat them up, but you'll be left with empty shells.
rosslewisbrown
rosslewisbrown

http://www.facebook.co.uk/rosslewisbrown

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 17/3/2012, 09:09

buy some kusuri koi wormer and dose the tank with this. it will kill them all of but may cause a slight ammonia spike as a result. remedy this with some water changes 2 or 3 days later and you filter should catch up.
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/3/2012, 09:16

cheers kev i will give it a go
the tank will be empty anyway so the ammonia spike won't be an issue as i can always deal with that as and when it happens

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 17/3/2012, 10:53

Well no brained then. The active chemical in wormers is lethat to snails and shrimps. If no fish in I would double the dose to be sure. I think Teesside koi stock it or paddock farm should have some as they sell koi.
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by DarloKev 17/3/2012, 11:21

I can bring round some kusuri discus wormer if that'll do the same thing

DarloKev

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 17/3/2012, 12:34

Same stuff, killed off my mts in my main discus tank.
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by DarloKev 17/3/2012, 12:53

i'll bring it round so you can dose the tank

DarloKev

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/3/2012, 12:56

oops!!
just accidentally drained the tankdown to nothing while catching my rio tocantins for the "spare" tank!
i guess no wormer needed now kev, i'll just bleach the tank as it's empty
aww!! no snails now!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 22/3/2012, 17:36

ok so the lst stage is under way at the minute:-
my eheim 2012 internal filter has been running for about an hour with no sponges in it and is in a bucket of weak bleach/water once the hour is up i will set to with a bucket of clean dechlorinated water for another hour after that will have to start the filter up as if it was a brand new filter straight out of the box.
if the bloody things come back after that then i will drop kick the filter and throw the whole bleeding lot in a skip!
here's hoping i have evicted them!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy W 22/3/2012, 20:32

I've got a boat load of ramshorns in my tank at the moment - fished them out of the 240l and dropped them in the newly set up tank.

I'm going to worm the fish with flubenol so it should kill the rest off.

Anyone got a puffer?

Andy W

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down