THE AQUARIUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cherry Barbs

4 posters

Go down

Cherry Barbs Empty Cherry Barbs

Post by mrsbiffster 12/10/2011, 23:25

I once bred cherry barbs strictly by accident. I had a lonely male cherry barb, so i put him in a tank on his own as i was changing tanks and moving fish. I though i would get him some females, so i bought about 3 females and put them in with him. A couple of weeks went by and i noticed the male was chasing the females. As i haven't bred egglayers before i thought he was bullying them and never thought much of it. I was feeding the fish one morning with daphnia and brine shrimp i always check all the tanks of any illness or anything unusual. I noticed something strange in the cherry barb tank which was unusual. My partner said oh it's only the live food you have just fed them. Well it didn't look like brine shrimp or daphnia, it looked like little pin head creatures with a tail. Then it dawned on me these little pin heads were fry. I was quite amazed i bred cherry barbs. I took the adults out and put them in another tank. I brought the fry up on liquifry and newly hatched brine shrimp. In the end i raised about 16 youngsters to adulthood and i'm pretty proud of that.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Cherry Barbs Empty Re: Cherry Barbs

Post by Ian 13/10/2011, 09:54

thats it with egg scatterer they lay the eggs on he move and the male chasing them was fertilising them so the eggs fall into the gravel and hatch there the parents should be taken out just after they lay the eggs
then its acase of wait and see if they hatch

Ian
Admin
Admin

https://theaquarium.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster 15/10/2011, 21:14

I only noticed the fry after they had hatched. I had plenty of plants in the tank so some of the fry had a sporting chance. I would try and breed them again if i had the chance. I think the water was neutral to slightly acid. I had a super S bubble up filter in there and the temperature was about 79-80 degrees.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy W 27/12/2011, 01:00

I had cherry barbs breed in my community tank, luckily I had some bogwood covered in Java Moss and they seemed to survive by hiding in that.

Andy W

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster 27/12/2011, 02:02

I had mine in an 18 x12 x12 tank. The male cherry barb kept nipping the tail on my tiger barb (the little bugger).
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carpguru 27/12/2011, 10:23

i wouldnt mind having a go
at breeding cherry barbs again
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster 27/12/2011, 22:03

When i get my breeding tanks set up i will be getting some more cherry barbs. I might try and breed glowlights.
They say zebra danios and white cloud mountain minnows are easy to breed, but i haven't had much luck with them for some strange reason. But i'll probably give it another go next time.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carpguru 28/12/2011, 10:07

is it easy to breed neons in the tank
of are they two hard to breed in tank
conditions
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian 28/12/2011, 10:10

give it a go see what hapens they need to have a low ph if my memory surves me right

Ian
Admin
Admin

https://theaquarium.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster 29/12/2011, 03:15

I think neons need a dark tank, what i mean is the tank needs to covered so the light doesn't get through as the eggs are light sensitive.
These would be a challenge.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down