THE AQUARIUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

clown loaches with whitespot ?

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

clown loaches with whitespot ? Empty clown loaches with whitespot ?

Post by onlineman 13/5/2012, 15:32

hi guys...got up this morning put tank light on and my 3 clown loaches are covered in whitespot...ive quarantined them in a small tank and treat the main tank as no other fish are showing any signs as yet...ive treat the clowns but i know they are sensative to chemical treatments...ive started to raise the temp in both tanks and increased airation ....any other tips for treating the clowns...ive obviously had whitespot several times before having kept fish for over 25yrs but its the first time in about 7 or 8 yrs that its surfaced and its the first time ive ever kept clowns !....any ideas or tips are appreciated !....bill
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

clown loaches with whitespot ? Empty Re: clown loaches with whitespot ?

Post by onlineman 13/5/2012, 15:39

ive just done a complete shut down and clean about 3 weeks ago...and as a precaution i always treat the tank with whitespot/fungal tretment before re-adding the fish...i treat on days 1,2,3,6 after the tank has been running for 5 -7 days ...the only thing i have done differently this time is ive added a large pumis rock with the centre hole...other than that a few new plants.
...bill
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by rosslewisbrown 13/5/2012, 17:06

If I were you I'd raise the temperature and add salt.
rosslewisbrown
rosslewisbrown

http://www.facebook.co.uk/rosslewisbrown

Back to top Go down

Post by onlineman 13/5/2012, 18:13

as i already said i have started to raise the temp but i was under the impression clown loaches didnt tollerate the salt ?
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by onlineman 13/5/2012, 18:19

ive taken this from another forum...hope no toes have been stepped on !!....only purpose is to clarify my thinking !...correct me if im wrong as fish keeping isnt an exact science....most people have their own opinions and ways i find !

Clown Loaches & Salt

by xxxxx Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:57 am

I'm prepping my 90gal tank for some Clown Loaches that I'll be picking up in the next 2 weeks or so.

The question I have is how well do they tolerate salt?

I ask this question because I add about 1tbs per 10g and keep it at that salinity level. So if I do an oil change I siphon out about 20g, fill, and add another 2 tbs of salt.

I also have a routine of upping the tanks temperature to about 85 degrees after I've added quarantined fish into the tank, just in case the disease they brought in didn't manifest it self in the week long quarantine/incubation period. I keep it at that level for a good 3 days. I normally keep the tank at about 80-82.

So am I doing this right or will I harm my new additions?
xxxxx Posts: 5Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:32 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by xxxx Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:39 am

In my experience and my opinion they do not tolerate salt at all well so don't use it. It isn't necessary and certainly not with salt intolerant fish.
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by rosslewisbrown 14/5/2012, 07:49

I'm not 100% sure but I wouldn't have thought they would have minded it. Corys aren't supposed to tolerate salt but mine have been fine in the past.
rosslewisbrown
rosslewisbrown

http://www.facebook.co.uk/rosslewisbrown

Back to top Go down

Post by onlineman 14/5/2012, 09:50

well at this point they aint looking good so i dont suppose it will matter much either way...it will kill or cure them !....one in particular looks very very ill....
clown loaches with whitespot ? IMG00131-20120514-0908
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/5/2012, 12:36

ouch that is a nasty case Sad i use king british ws3 it can be used for clowns but only half the doseage.. dunno if it will help now tho they dont look too good Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by onlineman 14/5/2012, 14:03

no not goot at all...im going to treat them for another couple of days and if no improvement then im going to do the kindest thing....it pains me to lose any fish but sometimes you have to take into account the suffering that is caused.....ive just bought a new 31l litre tank so ive filled that...added treatment...put the clowns in ..all i can do for now....ive had these clowns for 3 yrs so i will be gutted to lose them...also my 8yr old red tailed black shark is showing signs and looking a bit poorly....ive never had an outbreak like this ever ! ..im wondering if the large pumice rock i added after shut down is a culprit ?...other than that ive had some plattys of a guy in stockton who advertises on aquarist classified...in the past ive had a fish flick against the gravel or a rock and treat the tank with great success but never have i had a fish get covered in white spots like these clowns !....
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by onlineman 14/5/2012, 14:28

ive done water checks too...results are
nitrit 0.1
nitrat 2.5
ammonia 0
ph 7.2
temp has been raised to 82...normally its at 77
tests carried out using nutrafin essential mini master kit...all levels are at minium recommended or lower
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/5/2012, 14:48

there has been some nast outbraks of ws recently Sad i hope your fish pull through

Back to top Go down

Post by onlineman 14/5/2012, 15:47

just got back from school run....lost 1 clown...mmm...now the torture begins...do i dispose of the other 2 or keep fighting ???
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by onlineman 14/5/2012, 15:49

by the way...its waterlife protozin that i use to treat whitespot ...always have ....wonder if its worth going to get a different make to give that a go...despertion is setting in now !..lol...i know that im doing all i can but you still doubt yourself at times !
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by timmy74 14/5/2012, 17:40

Keep fighting mate.

timmy74

http://www.timgirvan.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/5/2012, 19:08

keep battlin...even if u manage to save 1 its a result n if not at least u know u tried, gutted for u

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/5/2012, 19:16

Keep fighting mate, I have clown loaches in my tank and recently used Esha Exit for white spot as you can use it at full doses and it doesn't harm the clowns
Good Luck

Back to top Go down

Post by onlineman 14/5/2012, 19:21

cheers guys...im gutted i lost the one clown but the other 2 seem to be worse....ive decided to give them 2 more days....if no improvement is shown then i have to do the decent thing...its awful watching thm suffer...my missus thinks im loopy for as she puts it "worrying over a fish"...if she kept them she would know !!!...as i said to her...its not a case of oh well an ill fish...lets flush it and buy another !...you wouldnt shoot your dog or cat if that got ill would you !!...or your kids...lol...mind you !!..lol
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by onlineman 14/5/2012, 19:26

where did you get the esha exit from m8 ??
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/5/2012, 19:30

It was from Seymour Aquatics on Thornaby RoadI think, Looked all over for some and this was the only place I could find, Hope this helps

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/5/2012, 19:33

pet mania on portrack has it in i was looking last week Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by onlineman 14/5/2012, 19:42

cheers...i will pop along tomorrow and get some...i will do a 50-75% water change and try that....anything is orth a go !...cheers
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/5/2012, 19:43

fingers crossed for u

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/5/2012, 19:56

If you read the instructions I think it says only to do a water change if you are due one, otherwise just treat the tank, then just do a 50% water change after treatment, and dont forget to take out the carbon (Granny to suck eggs and all that)

Back to top Go down

Post by onlineman 14/5/2012, 20:00

yeh carbon alrady out m8...only reason i was gonna do water change is due to protozin treatment already being in the tank...thought a 50-75% water change might make it ok if you catch my drift...so im not mixing chemicals !
onlineman
onlineman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/5/2012, 20:39

try not to over treat the tank with too many meds this could cause more problems, we did this and lost our cacatoides they bloated up and died Sad turned out dont think we had white spot but paranoid about oddessa barbs flashing but this was there normal behaviour,

Good luck its never nice to lose fish :/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next