THE AQUARIUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help setting up fry tank

2 posters

Go down

help setting up fry tank Empty help setting up fry tank

Post by debnel 6/7/2012, 10:25

hi all. i am planning on setting up a fry/breeder tank for livebearers. mainly guppies/mollies/swordtail types.
last time round i used a community tank and removed the other adult fish from it. this time i plan on a tank from scratch just for this purpose.
got a good size tank with hood & heater. it has a filter which is the air stone type. (any good for this purpose?)
i dont yet have a light but tank is in a bright room near a window. (need one still?)
i dont plan on putting in any sand or gravel as will be easier to keep hygienic without, but how do i anchor the plants? (live not plastic)
the main question is do i use water from my community tank or new water. should i leave it empty to cycle or add a few fish to help and remove them later?
no fry as yet so have plenty of time to plan the best way to do this.
thanks for any advice x
debnel
debnel

Back to top Go down

help setting up fry tank Empty Re: help setting up fry tank

Post by Ian 6/7/2012, 11:23

basically you just need a bare tank heater and sponge filter /cornerbox filter always use the water from the tank they bred in as it was right at the time for the parents to breed remember to remove the parents after they have given birth so they dont decide to eat the young

Ian
Admin
Admin

https://theaquarium.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/7/2012, 11:36

As mick says a basic set up is best for raising fry, as for plants i find the oxygenatin stuff best but i leave it float, it creates a perfect nursery for the fry to feel safe in and the female usually hides among it all to give birth Smile, it also keeps the bottom of the tank bare so easier to clean. hope this helps.

Back to top Go down

Post by debnel 6/7/2012, 12:07

thats a good idea with the floating plants. already have some in the main tank i can move across. i am due to do a water change on the main tank so i'll just use that water to fill the new one.
should i add some fish just to help it acclimatise or wont this be necceasry if using the other tanks water?
thanks to you both
debnel
debnel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/7/2012, 12:19

If its a mature filter then it should be fine otherwise just add a small amount of food everyday to keep the good bacteria goin until u have fish in there Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by debnel 6/7/2012, 13:32

ooh cant wait till i have tank full of babies again!
debnel
debnel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down