THE AQUARIUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol

+8
D13H4RD
ado_boro
k3vinjam3s
Ian
blooper
MarcG
carpguru
mrsbiffster
12 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol Empty New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol

Post by Guest 5/1/2012, 23:13

As title shows I'm getting adventurous lol, its been about 3years since I've had my own tank too look after and I've moved the goal posts massively, this should be fun. :DANGER:

I'm not completely out of touch if I'm honest, My old man has a Juwel Rio 300 Reef tank which Ive had a lot to do with over the last two and a half years. However a change in circumstances means I now have my own pad and my own tank again. 👍 I have bought a Fluval Roma 240 (I have incorporated an image of my tank at the bottom of this thread) and I have decided that I am going to go down the tropical route, but unsure whether to go with a community tank, discus or Malawi's. :HELP:

I've got the majority of the equipment I need already, Fluval 305 (requires contents - Not 100% what I need), Two 300w heaters, T8 lighting with tropical tubes. I have been looking at the tetra APS300 air pump for this set up but still yet to buy one. Previously I used air stones at the back of the tank, however I never got the very fine bubble effect, covering the complete back of the tank I was looking for. How can I achieve this?

So far I have devised a plan to empty the contents of gravel that still remain in it, remove the poorly fitted Juwel background tiles, fit egg crate to the bottom of the tank and then refit the tiles correctly (glued to the back wall). I then have the to heaters to fit, but struggling to imaging where they will go as the suction cups wont stick to the Juwel background, any ideas? I have yet to decide whether to use gravel or sand, what are the advantages of using one over another?

Is there anything I have overlooked? brainfart

In advance to any responses I would like to thank you for reading this and your advice will be much appreciated. Regards Richard :thank you:

New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol NewTank-FluvalRoma240

Back to top Go down

New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol Empty Re: New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol

Post by mrsbiffster 6/1/2012, 00:36

To be quite honest i don't care much for them juwel backgrounds but i'm not critisizing. Everyone has there own taste.
Sand or gravel, mm, a difficult one! I'm using sand in one tank and cat litter in another.
Cat litter is a good substrate.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol Empty Re: New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol

Post by carpguru 6/1/2012, 09:30

cat litter was another experiment that seems
to have taken off and i now hear a few people
are trying it no i my self think it makes a good substrate as does sand i am going to have a look
in to using aquatic loam sometime this year and
at some point going to go back to using sharp sand
which i think is the best substrate as it is after all
natural ungraded river sand
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcG 6/1/2012, 10:25

You can buy air curtains check them out on internet youl need 2 im guesing and thatl give you the bubble effect across the background. Personally id go with sand. Argos play sand cheap as chips
MarcG
MarcG

Back to top Go down

Post by blooper 6/1/2012, 11:09

sand all the way preferably aquatic sand dont care much for the playsand as i think it compacts down to much and you have to keep lifting it to stop this happening,as for air curtain peter barrats do them in different sizes and for the size u will want 2 packs and a double air pump to run it i.e an airline to each end.if you go the discus route defo sand as with it being light coloured it really shows of the color of the discus
cheers keith

blooper

Back to top Go down

Post by carpguru 6/1/2012, 11:14

tescos cat litter is £1.15 bag
argos play pit sand £2.99 15k bag
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcG 6/1/2012, 11:27

thats why i like the play sand ^^
MarcG
MarcG

Back to top Go down

Post by carpguru 6/1/2012, 11:30

it all as to be washed cat litter
looks well in the tank
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/1/2012, 11:57

Sand it is then.

With reference to the air pump to run the curtain, would the tetra aps be strong enough. My concern is that they are rated for the size of the tank and not the pressure they provide Question

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian 6/1/2012, 12:23

the way i look at it is go for the next bigger one you can always turn it down weres the normal one might only do two airstones then you carnt get anymore from it

Ian
Admin
Admin

https://theaquarium.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by carpguru 6/1/2012, 12:33

good tip that mick
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/1/2012, 12:44

Well thats what my thoughts were, as the 200 would do the job. I'm going to order some sand this afternoon, is there any specific qualities I need as I'm hoping to put some live plants in. Any tricks or tips?

Plus i've been on the paddock farm website, and Ive found the pump really cheap, do they have a big section at the shop and do they charge more for the items in store?

****Update**** email recieved - egg crate on route 👍

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian 6/1/2012, 13:25

normally the same price
but
if you get 30 posts on here you get 10% off at paddoxs

Ian
Admin
Admin

https://theaquarium.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/1/2012, 14:36

So I better keep posting today then lol as im going to pay them a visit today haha

Back to top Go down

Post by carpguru 6/1/2012, 14:38

card's printed you just need the posts
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/1/2012, 14:42

Champion, is the aqautics section at paddock farm of a decent size and quality? Ive never been, as I never knew it was there.

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcG 6/1/2012, 15:00

Lol get posting!
MarcG
MarcG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/1/2012, 15:05

Just been talking to the old man, just a quick one about sand - will sand be ok with all fish (community, malawi, babuna, discus (he also mentioned something like tanzania?)

He said play sand would be fine but if it was him he'd put white sand in (crushed coral or something)?

Any advice?

Back to top Go down

Post by carpguru 6/1/2012, 15:27

it depends on what type of fresh water fish
malawi's rift valleys they would be OK with
sand or coral sand discus and other fresh
water fish that like soft water conditions
just sand would be OK as play sand doesn't
buffer the pH up at all were as coral sand
as buffering properties to take a the pH up to over
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/1/2012, 15:37

so really I need to know what way im going before I buy my sand. Is coral sand expensive?

Also whats paddock farm like?

Back to top Go down

Post by carpguru 6/1/2012, 15:42

coral sand is really for fish that like
high pH and hardness were as play pit
sand is inert it dosent effect the pH or the
hardness of the water sand can be used with
all most all fish
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcG 6/1/2012, 16:01

Ive heard its ment to be good hodgy
MarcG
MarcG

Back to top Go down

Post by carpguru 6/1/2012, 16:04

paddock farm 👍
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/1/2012, 16:22

I dont think im going to get there today now as two customers who i've supposed to have appointments with havn't turned up. Quite looking forward to going tho.

Boils my blood does this - Ask yourself, "If you made and appointment with your doctor, would you just not turn up or would you cancel or rearrange?"

Rant over lol

Back to top Go down

Post by carpguru 6/1/2012, 16:29

wall SURE DOES bash
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next