THE AQUARIUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol

+8
D13H4RD
ado_boro
k3vinjam3s
Ian
blooper
MarcG
carpguru
mrsbiffster
12 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol - Page 4 Empty Re: New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol

Post by Guest 10/1/2012, 13:49

Is there any one that is supposed to have a better surface area than another? Also will you be free tomorrow evening to sort out the used filter meterial from your external so I can get mine up and running?

Back to top Go down

New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol - Page 4 Empty Re: New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol

Post by k3vinjam3s 10/1/2012, 16:40

tomorrow isnt good for me cos im working late then going straight to gym so wont be in till after 9. when are you planning on introducing the fish as they need to be in at the same time as the media really
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/1/2012, 16:44

Im off work on thursday however I'm at the solicetor at 2pm as ive been slightly naughty lol (nothing bad, car accident in august and their trying it on). I was thinking introduce the media tomorrow night and put fish in thursday morning. I'll pm you my number if its easier.

PS is it you on aquatics classfield selling bristlenose pleco?

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 10/1/2012, 16:55

yes its me selling bn plecs.

your more than welcome to come thursday morning before you collect fish if thats good for you. that would probably be better as the media can be added to your filter while your fish are floating in the bag in your aquarium, then all ready and fresh when you introduce them.
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/1/2012, 17:02

Thurday is good for me, what times good for you?

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 10/1/2012, 17:09

ill be doing my water changes so will be busy till around 11am, that good for you?
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/1/2012, 17:27

whats the best way to transport, tupper wear box? How much media were you thinking? I could make it 11 that wouldnt be a problem however earlier would be better.

Back to top Go down

Post by blooper 10/1/2012, 19:53

if ur both stuck to meet up for exchange of media i'm willing to exchange if needed ceramic rings etc from my fx5's totally up to u guys can do exchange wed tea time or evening if it helps

blooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12/1/2012, 08:52

Thank you very much for the offer Blooper (sorry for the late reply as well). I near enough have things sorted with a little help from Kev, can't wait to get things really going today.

Good news, got up this morning and the tank is near enough clear. Not completely but is alot better than it was. Heres and image of before and Ill get another one up in a minNew Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol - Page 4 IMG_0488

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcG 12/1/2012, 09:05

tip- when you fill a tank up with sand put a little plate to pour the water onto inside your tank doesnt disturb the sand Smile
MarcG
MarcG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12/1/2012, 09:28

This mornings happyness:
New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol - Page 4 IMG_0489

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster 13/1/2012, 02:05

Newspaper can be used as well to break the force of the water Marc. But i'm like you i use a plate.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcG 13/1/2012, 08:02

yeah i prefer the plate
MarcG
MarcG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/1/2012, 23:25

Sorry for the delay in update. Thursday turned into a really good day, visited a few places (stockton garden centre, petmania), then the range for some final essentials. I then visited kev to collect some bio max which has been in his canister for a while straight home and into my canister so I could boost the bacteria.

We then took a trip to Paddock Farm, treating ourselves to half a dozen tiny tiger barbs. We brought them home and got them settles, finally 30mins later letting them loose in the tank. Also adding some pure aquarium balls to make sure bacteria was present.

Friday the 13th, came around and i noticed the carpet was wet, I then discovered the canister was leaking. So quick strip down and I was left believing the seal wasnt sealing. I removed it, gave it a clean, dried the groove it fits in and then replace it. I then discovered the ceramic shaft for the impeller had also snapped Evil or Very Mad

Saturday came round and the mrs was kind enough to go out and get the new shaft and some polishing pads. They were both fitted when I got in from work, no further issues at this point.

Tonight has come round and I've completed my 1st water change. I've probably change about 40-50liters consisting of several trips to the kitchen with the bucket, using dechlorinator before topping up. I then checked the canister and noticed a small amount of water around it. However I cannot find where it has come from Question, I checked the joint from where it was leaking before but absolutely no signs of a leak. Shocked I dried it up and striped down the tubing from the connector and refitted to make sure it aint leaking from there. I will check this in the morning and hope we have no issues.

Here are some updated pics:
New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol - Page 4 IMG_0496
New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol - Page 4 IMG_0495

Last edited by Hodgy_2k5 on 15/1/2012, 23:30; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by blooper 15/1/2012, 23:29

if you suspect its the seal on the canister go to the diving shop in redcar and purchase some silicone grease rub it on the seal and leave for approx 20 mins before refitting it into the canister, the silicone grease actually expands the rubber seal making it a tighter fit

blooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/1/2012, 23:33

Strangely enough i was told something very similar earlier. However i was told not to spend the extra brass (£) on it as Vaseline does the same job. Thanks for the advise and because its the second reference to doing it, i'll get it done one night soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster 16/1/2012, 01:39

How are your tiger barbs. Believe it or not your tiger barbs will let you know there is a problem with your water. When they headstand (hover with their heads down) do a water test.
Me and Biffster went into Billingham Aquatics a while back and Biffster noticed the tiger barbs were headstanding. So he mentioned it to the owner.
The following week Biffster asked how the tiger barbs were and the owner said he did a water test and it had nitrate in the tank.
So a bit of useful information there.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster 16/1/2012, 01:51

External filters have there advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantage is they can leak. A bit of a bummer really. But the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. With externals you don't clean them out has often has an internal.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ado_boro 16/1/2012, 09:30

I noticed your running both 300w heaters in there. Do you know that's not really neccessary for a tank that size? One is perfectly fine to run a tank up to around 270ltr. It's good to have a spare but would be money saved on your electricity bill!
ado_boro
ado_boro

https://www.facebook.com/adrian.paterson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16/1/2012, 10:45

The way I looked at it was as the water temp drops and the heaters come it, it will heat it from both ends reducing the time they need to be on by 60% as there is twice the power. Meaning it will cost less to keep warm. I appriciate they both aren't needed but the two year warrenty starts the day they were bought so if one did fail at least the other one has already took the strain and I can get the faulty one exchanged.

Checked the canister this morning and its not leaked a drop. So im happy there.

Other than that I have noticed the tiger's swimming with their heads down from time to time. However in the test Andy did yesterday there was next to no Nitrite present If i remember correctly. Plus ive now done a 40-50litre water change so that should have sorted it. I'll check them tonight and do another water test.

Thanks for the advice.

Back to top Go down

Post by carpguru 16/1/2012, 15:43

there was a slight trace of ammonia in
the water when i tested it that could
make them head stand
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16/1/2012, 21:28

Decided whilst I've got time I would treat the canister seal to some silicon so that it creates a tighter seal and to change over the polishing pads. Just to make sure I've got good flow.

Also they've stopped head standing now, so water change must have cured it.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster 17/1/2012, 03:09

That's good to hear.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 19/1/2012, 09:39

Well Thursday has finally came around and I don't have to go to work. So I've finally dragged myself out of bed and getting ready to trawl around hunting for a couple of nice fish and poss a couple of plants. I know teesside koi is on my list of places to go, plus may go bk to stokesley as my dads fish passed away that i got him for his b'day (which is now currently boxed in his freezer for evidence lol), the fish was highly stressed when he was bagged and the guy seemed concerned to start with so hopefully wont have an issue.

Really don't know what to fish to go with, my tank is currently only holding 6 tiny 10p piece tiger barbs, looks empty. Don't want to buy anything too big at the mo as I'd rather buy them small and watch them grow.

Is there anywhere I can find out details on fish - behaviour etc online, plus are there any good nice looking hardy fish that generally sold small?

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 19/1/2012, 15:14

Just use your iPhone when in the shop to do research before buying. That's what I do if I'm unsure. Trust your own research not what some numpty in a shop is telling you.
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next