THE AQUARIUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol

+8
D13H4RD
ado_boro
k3vinjam3s
Ian
blooper
MarcG
carpguru
mrsbiffster
12 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol - Page 3 Empty Re: New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol

Post by Guest 8/1/2012, 22:15

I'd heard of them, but never really done out about it in the past, I think the fact it was in with the deal its made me do it. I recon with the look of ado's I'll be well happy with it when its done Very Happy

Back to top Go down

New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol - Page 3 Empty Re: New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol

Post by MarcG 8/1/2012, 22:26

they do give it a more realistic look . wish i got mine in with my tanks lol im sure itl look like ados!
MarcG
MarcG

Back to top Go down

Post by ado_boro 8/1/2012, 22:29

I think they are brill! Always wanted one but my tank was full of fish and water so it would have been such a pain to do! That's why when I got the new one I jumped at the chance.
They arnt cheap really, couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that tank had a background too, such a bargain! I actually messaged her to say if you pull out I'll have it! Lol.
It's coming along nicely by the looks of it! Crazy how much time everything seems to take though ain't it!
ado_boro
ado_boro

https://www.facebook.com/adrian.paterson

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcG 8/1/2012, 22:38

thats my problem ado got fish in! going to be a pain if i go ahead to do it have to move my fish out temp.
MarcG
MarcG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/1/2012, 22:59

Setting it up is taking a while to do, however I've done very little with it this week with been busy. Tonight is the 1st night I have really done anything. I think its because I've been spending money and wanted to be able to justify it by actually doing something lol

Something that was mentioned down at paddock farm was that with the aquarium starter kit i've bought, it contains live bacteria, therefore 1hour after treatment I can put fish into the tank. Removing the whole waiting for the tank to cure, knowing me I'd itch to put fish in lol

Back to top Go down

Post by ado_boro 8/1/2012, 23:10

Yeah I've been down that route in the past, should work well but you must add fish slowly to allow the bacteria to build each time. If you add too quickly after just a short period you will get new tank syndrome. Make sure you keep checks on water parimiters an do your water changes often.
Only reason I've gone down the fishkess cycle route is so that I can add all my fish at once and not harm any in the process. Can't deny I'm sick of waiting already though :lol!:

Last edited by ado_boro on 9/1/2012, 08:29; edited 1 time in total
ado_boro
ado_boro

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster 9/1/2012, 00:28

We are using them aquarium pure in one of our tanks and i'm not sure if they work. Well to be quite honest i wouldn't put fish in a tank after an hour of treatment. I would be patient.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 9/1/2012, 07:19

That live bacteria is a load of marketing crap that there to help shops sell the product. They is no way of the bacteria surviving in a sealed bottle with no food source and no oxygen. The best way is to take some filter media from a mature tank to kickstart the filter then add fish slowly while keeping an eye on ammonia and nitrite.
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9/1/2012, 10:04

Is there someone in stockton that could therefore help me out with used filter media? No issues of collecting and I could replace what ever is given to me, what my plans were is to get the tank topped up with water wednesday, add the bacteria pack I have and then on thursday afternoon add 5 neons. Then leave the tank for a week, before adding any other fish.

Back to top Go down

Post by ado_boro 9/1/2012, 10:32

Might want to start with something a bit more hardy than neons for your first fish. They are not at tough as they used to be. People generally recommend zebra danios if your cycling with fish in as they are more hardy.
ado_boro
ado_boro

Back to top Go down

Post by carpguru 9/1/2012, 11:31

yeah we tried the aquarium pure and i am
still sketchy about it they say its bacteria
in suspended animation bu cant see it my self
it might have the chemicals in there that neutralize
ammonia and nitrite it turns the ammonia to ammonium which can still be used by the filter
but it is harmless to fish . it takes them a week or
two for them to dissolve. the fish i would use to start
a tank are endlers danios or a a gourami of sorts
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9/1/2012, 13:04

Well I'm going to be using RO water so I have no issues with water quality, the father has said he also wants no money for it so its basically on tap for me lol What I'll do is source some used filter media/sponges for my fluval run it for a few days without fish, put the aquarium pure in at the same point and then within the week add a coulpe of danio's love the zebra's Very Happy

Also have updated pics of tank from this morning.

Back to top Go down

Post by ado_boro 9/1/2012, 13:30

I think if you are going to use some media from a mature filter it should be safe to add the fish straight away. Without fish taking a dump in your tank there will be nothing for the bacteria to feed from in your filter and it will start to die. That sound much better idea than just using the other.
ado_boro
ado_boro

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 9/1/2012, 15:08

+1

Add fish straight away or the bacteria will die off in less than a day. What filter/media are you using as I may be able to help you out.

As for starting with neon I'd reconsider this, they are not as hardy as they used to be and really need a mature tank.

Also what percentage of RO water are you going to use. Personally for tropicals id stick with our good soft tap water and use seachem prime to dechlorinate.
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9/1/2012, 17:09

I was going to use 100% RO as it saves me on the cost of buying a declhlorinate solution. I have no issues with using a percentage just didnt see the point when I have the option or RO water on tap.

Currently the fluval 305 external I have only had one compartment filled with white hola hoops (lol forgot the actual name) and 4 filter pads. If you can help out with this I probibly aint too far away from yourself, so would be dead easy. As I'm in the new estate behind the Audi garage over Preston Farm (Where all the car garages are). What Ideas did you have in order to help out?

Hardier fish are fine, I always thought neons were a good cheap starting option to get things going. How times change.

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 9/1/2012, 17:23

I use a fluval 305 too so don't mind helping you out with some media. If I were you I'd buy some new hula hoops lol and ill swap them for some mature ones from my 305. The cheapest I've got them is from the range over portrack mate. Id shove the compartments in the 305 full of hulas and just use the big sponges on the outside.

As for the RO water, you can't use 100% unless you use re-mineraliser as RO just strips water of essential minerals the fish need.
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9/1/2012, 20:07

Tonights play time Very Happy
New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol - Page 3 IMG_0479
New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol - Page 3 IMG_0480
New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol - Page 3 IMG_0481
New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol - Page 3 IMG_0487
New Tank - Biggest Yet and 3years out of practise lol - Page 3 IMG_0486

Back to top Go down

Post by ado_boro 9/1/2012, 20:50

Looking good matey! Nice use of kitchen utensils too!
ado_boro
ado_boro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 9/1/2012, 20:56

hard to find perfect items to stick in the tank lol really cant wait to put water in lol

Back to top Go down

Post by carpguru 9/1/2012, 20:58

give it 24 hours
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsbiffster 10/1/2012, 00:55

I agree with kev you can't use 100% RO water. Most tropicals in the wild come from rivers and streams. So you have the minerals coming from the mountains. Marines have to have RO water coz obviously they are in salt water but tropicals are freshwater and they need the minerals for their well being.
mrsbiffster
mrsbiffster
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/1/2012, 11:24

No issues, was just looking at a way of saving a few £ so I can spend it in other areas.

Tonight the sand is going in as the sealant will be fully dry, and I'll top up with water, as this is my 1st fill can i dechlorinate it in the tank or do I have to do so as I add the water?

Back to top Go down

Post by carpguru 10/1/2012, 11:35

just put it in the tank should be ok
carpguru
carpguru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/1/2012, 13:32

Thanks - right I'm going out to get filter media, I've already been adviced just to the the hola hoop shaped stuff as carbon and what no isnt needed. Can someone please just double confirm this.

Also on subject is there any difference between manufactors of the stuff? ie. Fluval and Fish r fun?

Back to top Go down

Post by k3vinjam3s 10/1/2012, 13:41

i only use normal media fulltime and i might add carbon if im removing meds in the water. the problem with using carbon full time is that it eventually reaches it absorbtion capacity and is of no use.

as for brands of ceramic rings, imo you can use any as all they are is a surface area for bacteria to live. when buying branded you may be paying over the odds just for the brand.
k3vinjam3s
k3vinjam3s

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next